Thursday, February 25, 2010

Weight Watchers Shrimp-and-Corn Soup

It has been cold and rainy all week and snow coming tomorrow in CT!  I chose to make something for dinner tonight that is both healthy and warms your soul.  Also, it is only 5 weight watchers points per serving. The BEST part is, you just have to throw the ingredients together and simmer!

Weight watchers provides many aids for success.  I re-joined right after the holiday pound gain, and I feel great about myself. Coupled with this, I have been working out 5-6 days a week using Josh's training.  I have never been so toned in my life!  While I have only lost 15 pounds so far, knowing I am on the right track and changing my body with exercise really feels great! 

Here's the recipe adapted Weight Watchers Five-Star Recipes


Quick Shrimp and Corn Soup

Ingredients
Cooking spray
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper

if you have leftover pepper like I did, leave the seeds inside the remainder.  It helps it stay fresher longer.
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup (6 ounces) 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
2 cups fat-free milk
1 (15 oz) can creamed corn
1 (10.75 oz) can reduced fat, reduced sodium cream of mushroom soup
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes and green chiles undrained
1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined


I use pre-cooked shrimp from Aldi because it is cheaper, use whatever kind you'd like!

Preparation:

1. Heat a dutch oven or large saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.  Add chopped onion, pepper, and garlic, and saute 5 minutes.  Stir in cream cheese, reduce heat, and cook until cheese is melted.  Add milk, corn, soup, and tomatoes; cook ten minutes, stirring occasionally.  Bring to a boil. Add shrimp; cook five minutes or until shrimp are done. Remove from heat. Ladle soup into bowls.  Sprinkle green onion over soup.

One serving is 1 cup soup.  We loved how creamy it was, yet still low-fat!



I paired it corn muffins

What is your favorite warm the soul soup?

2 comments:

  1. Great soup!!

    You can drop off leftovers at my kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ONLY fifteen pounds?!?!? You are crazy that is awesome!

    This soup looks so good. I love that you paired it with a corn muffin. Good stuff all around.

    ReplyDelete