Friday, March 19, 2010

Battle Balsamic Vinegar

Does anyone else watch Iron Chef on Food Network?   It is the show on food network where chefs compete using one main ingredient in every dish.  On one of Josh and I's first dates we watched "Battle Goat" on Iron Chef so we still enjoy watching it together!

Anyway, last night in our house featured balsamic vinegar.  I made Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar Chicken which I posted a couple weeks ago, and brown rice.

I was not a huge fan of brown rice when I first made the diet switch.  However, it is much better for me than most starches so I have grown to love it.  One way I prepare it is with balsamic vinegar and mushrooms.

Chop about 1/4 cup of onion.

Heat pan coated with cooking spray and put in onions and a can of chopped mushrooms.

Add as much as balsamic vinegar as you'd like, but I would say enough to coat bottom of pan.  Heat on medium stirring once in a while until most of vinegar is absorbed and onion is soft.

Make brown rice according to directions.  I used a cup of dry rice.

Add balsamic soaked mushrooms and onions to rice.

It was interesting to taste the acidic and sweet side of balsamic vinegar on one plate.


Do you use balsamic vinegar in your cooking?  For what?

1 comment:

  1. I am not a balsamic fan but that dish looks so amazing! especially the rice =)

    ReplyDelete