Friday, March 5, 2010

Refreshing Italian Chicken

I am very happy for Friday!! Students in CT had their first week of standardized tests this week, and any teacher or parent knows this is very draining for everyone involved!

Josh and I are not eating meat on Fridays, but I prepared this meal tonight in advance for tomorrow.
Tonight we are having Taco Salsa Casserole which can be found at Healthy Mom on The Run

Back to the Chicken.  I call this recipe refreshing because it has Basil, my favorite herb and lots of veggies like zucchinni and tomatoes.  It is like a taste of summer during dreary weather.  Enjoy!

Italian Chicken and Vegetables (from WW 5 star Recipes) 6 points

Ingredients
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp pepper, divided
4 (6 oz) skinless boneless chicken breast halves
Cooking spray
1 TB extra virgin olive oil
1 (8 oz) can sliced mushrooms
1 small zucchinni, quartered lenghtwise and sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chopped plum tomatoes (about 3 tomatoes)
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
4 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1.Preheat broiler

2. Combine garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper in a small bowl; sprinkle chicken with garlic powder mixture.  Place chicken on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray, and broil 6 minutes on each side or until chicken is done.

I don't usually measure spices, I eyeball.  This is more than one teaspoon of garlic powder, but I LOVE garlic powder.  It doesn't add many calories.

So many delicious vegetables!!

3. While chicken cooks, heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat.  Add 1/4 tsp salt, mushrooms, zucchinni, and minced garlic; saute 2 minutes.  Add 1/8 tsp pepper, tomato, onion, basil and vinegar; saute 3 minutes.  Serve vegetable mixture over chicken; sprinkle with cheese.


At this point, my mouth was watering from the smell
one serving is one chicken breast, 1/2 cup veggies, and 1 TB cheese


Happy weekend everyone!  I will be taking it easy this weekend and doing some menu planning.  Any low calorie suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for passing by my blog! I just saw that you guys live in Mystic Connecticut! I went there once and did not want to come back to NYC, I fell inlove with that little town.

    Btw I never made empanadas before but my mom has and they are DELISH, but we call them pastelitos =)

    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete