Monday, March 29, 2010

Rain Rain Go Away...

I am trying to look on the positive side with all this rain that we will have beautiful flowers soon but enough is enough!  It seems like more and more days are full of pouring rain.  Which makes me very sleepy on Monday after a busy weekend! 
Does the weather affect your mood?

I made a crockpot meal today Low and Slow Sloppy Joes and to go with it, ONION RINGS.  Like I have told you before, I LOVE any sort of greasy food, like french fries and onion rings so I love when I find a new recipe to try that gives me a chance to eat them!  Plus, a fake-out fatty food brightens my mood.

This recipe is adapted from WW Hit The Spot Cookbook...2 points per serving


Love this cookbook!  Each chapter is based on a craving like Sweet and Savory and Salty and Crunchy

Start by slicing two large onions crosswise.  Separate them into rings.
Put 1/3 cup of flour in a large ziploc bag, Place 1 cup buttermilk and some salt and pepper in a shallow bowl or dredging tray.  Place 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs and 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning into a second bowl or tray.

I use Panko Breadcrumbs because I love the texture!  I recently found a 4C version that is the cheapest I've found!


Take 3 to 4 rings at a time and shake them in flour bag.



Coat in buttermilk mixture.


Finish off with breadcrumbs.  Place on a baking sheet.  When all done, cook for 20 minutes at 450.





TIP for buttermilk:  Instead of spending extra money on buttermilk, use a few splashes of white vinegar per cup of milk.  Works the same and much less expensive!




All I can say is YUM!  What do you prefer? Onion Rings or French Fries?

2 comments: