Tuesday, March 2, 2010

BBQ Pork Chops and Feta Mashed Potatoes

Tonight's recipes come from Weight Watchers.  Weight Watchers and diet recipes are great to aid in healthy eating.  The important thing to pay attention to is how much is in a serving.  Eating a low-fat recipe won't help you lose fat if you eat the whole thing!

Portion control took a long time for me to get control of, and I still sometimes have a problem with it, especially when it is something delicous like mashed potatoes!  I think it is helpful to always use measuring cups.  Measure out everything!  Also, put your meal on a small plate, like I did here.  It makes you feel like you are eating more!

Barbecued Pork Chops (adpated from WW) 6 points

1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 TB A1 sauce
1 TB low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 ground red pepper
6 (6 oz) center-cut pork chops, trimmed of fat
Cooking spray

Preparation:

1. Prepare grill or broiler.

2. Combine brown sugar, ketchup, A1, and soy sauce in a small bowl.  Place 1/4 cup in another small bowl and set aside.

3. Combine thyme, garlic powder, and pepper; sprinkle over pork chops. Place pork chops on grill or broiler pan coated with cooking spray; cook 6 minutes on each side, basting with remaining sauce. Serve chop with reserved sauce.



One 6 pt serving is 1 pork chop and 2 Tb sauce.

Feta Mashed Potatoes (adapted from WW) 2 pts

2  lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/4 cup fat-free soymilk
3 TB crumbled feta cheese
2 TB fat-free sour cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp pepper

Preparation

1. Place potatoes in large saucepan and cover with water.  Bring to a boil.  Cover potatoes, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potato is very tender.

2. Drain potatoes well, and return to pan; beat with a mixer at high speed until smooth.  Add remaining ingredients, and beat well.

Serves 8.  One serving is 1/2 cup. 

This is what a 1/2 cup looks like.  No need for butter on these potatoes!

I only recently started using feta in my cooking and it is sooooo good, I can't get enough. Do you have a favorite feta recipe?

3 comments:

  1. When I was really trying to lose weight, I measured everything. Nowadays I just try to eyeball things...I know how many servings I'm supposed to get out of a recipe and so I just estimate. On rare occasions I'll break out the food scale!

    this looks delicious! I love a good pork chop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really good. I try to use smaller plates as well. You know that the boys would never like that trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love feta cheese, but I haven't cooked with it yet!

    ReplyDelete