Monday, March 22, 2010

Soup and Salad

My soup for this week is a spin on an old favorite..and it sounded so delicious I couldn't resist...Spinach-Chicken Noodle Soup.  Spinach is always a great add-in because it is full of vitamins and iron! (why do you think Popeye loved it!?)

This recipe is taken from Weight Watchers (by the way--I made 10% goal on Saturday!!)  I have less than 20 pounds now until I am at my final goal :)  Great feeling

Back to the soup...Spinach-Chicken Noodle Soup

1. Combine 6-7 cups of low sodium chicken broth, 1 cup chopped onion, and 1 cup sliced carrot in a soup pot.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes to soften the veggies.


2. Add 2 cans of condensed reduced-fat cream of chicken soup, 10 oz frozen spinach (thaw and drain it first), 4 cups cooked chopped chicken, 2 cups whole wheat noodles, and salt and pepper to taste.

3. Bring to a boil again, simmer uncovered 15 minutes until the noodles are softened.

1 1/2 cups is 5 points




I served this soup with a salad with two of my favorite veggies: asparagus and radishes!

A quick way to cook asparagus is to throw it in a microwave safe bowl with some water and microwave 7-8 minutes.

it has:
6 oz cooked asparaus
3 cups salad freens
3 radishes, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tb fat-free red wine vinaigrette
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tb feta cheese


1. Combine asparagus, greens and radishes in large bowl.  Combine vinagrette and mustard in small bowl and stir well.  Add viniagrette mixture and feta to salad.

**eating asparagus and spinach together give you iron and vitamin C.  vitamin C is needed to help absorb iron
A wondeful vegetable full dinner! 

What are some your favorite veggies?

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on making your 10%.

    I love soup and salad. Wish the family did as well.

    LOVE KALE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl... Those last pounds will be easy to lose! What an amazing feeling! Love your soup recipe. I love broccoli, peas, green beans, corn, tomatoes, ahhh so many of them! Broc is my daughter and my favorite though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on hitting your goal! great job chickie =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go making 10 percent! That's awesome! I didn't know you could cook asparagus in the microwave-I'll have to try it that way from now on! I love broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, spaghetti squash....I could go on forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love HungryGirl recipes!! Just recently I made my own version of the Dreamy PB Chocolate ravioli puffs :)

    http://www.hungry-girl.com/week/weeklydetails.php?isid=2014

    ReplyDelete